Part of Economic Geology sheet (1898), Boise folio, Geologic Atlas of the U.S. Spec Coll G1201.C5 U5 v. 45
The sandstone quarries in the Boise Foothills, including those at Table Rock, are evident on this 1898 map. The sandstone was used to build the State Capitol, the state penitentiary, Boise City National Bank, Fort Boise (Boise Barracks), and other important structures in Idaho's capital city.
From Map of Boise, Idaho by F.W. Almond (1907)
The city of Boise grew up next to Fort Boise (later Boise Barracks), an Army post from 1863 until 1912. Many buildings on this 1907 map still stand.
While most of the maps in Albertsons Library are held in the Maps Department, a small collection of older, historic maps is located in Special Collections, along with a collection of aerial photos of Idaho. Most of the maps in Special Collections relate to Idaho and the West. They are listed in several bibliographies:
The aerial photos in Special Collections date between 1938 and 1971, and are mainly 9" x 9" black and white prints at scales of 1: 20,000 to 1:48,000. Approximately 9,000 aerial photos have been indexed by range and township numbers. If you contact us with the range and township number of an area of interest, Special Collections staff will check to see if we hold aerial photos covering that township.
This page created: 7 February 2007