Bronco Web white circle Blackboard white circle Maps white circle Directories white circle Search
Boise State logoSpecial Collections home

 SPECIAL
 COLLECTIONS


Northwest Digital Archives Digital Collections Manuscripts Idaho Writers
 Archive
Rare Books Idaho Collection Ethnographic
  Archives
Maps/Aerial Photos Photographs University Archives Online Exhibits Bibliographies Email Us Search our Site

ARCHIVES OF THE EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF IDAHO


MSS 91


in Boise State University, Albertsons Library Special Collections Department Boise, Idaho USA

 

The Archives of the Episcopal Diocese of Idaho were donated to Boise State University in 1989. The  ties between the Episcopal Church and the university are old ones.  Boise State University was founded  as Boise Junior College by the Right Rev. Middleton S. Barnwell, Bishop of Idaho, in 1932.  It remained a church institution during the first few years of its existence.


Besides records of bishops, committees, conventions, and special projects (most of which date from the twentieth century), the collection includes the original registers of defunct parishes and microfilm of the registers of many of the active parishes. (The original registers of active parishes remain with the parishes.)  The oldest records in the collection are the parish registers from Saint James Parish, Silver City, dating back to the 1860s.  While most of the diocesan records date mainly from the mid-to late twentieth century, records of the Women's auxiliary are an exception; they go back to the early 20th century.


The following series are open for public inspection without advance permission of the diocese:


    Series 1: Constitutions, canons, and convention journals
    Series 7: Parish surveys
    Series 19: Historical reference files


Series 6 (Clergy and personnel files) are confidential and will not be open for research in the near future.


For the time being, research in any other parts of the collection requires the permission of the diocese. Interested researchers are encouraged to seek permission. Consult an archivist for assistance in securing permission. The diocesan office is located at 1858 Judith Lane, Boise, Idaho 83705.  Phone (208) 345-4440.


A list of the series, with links to their inventories,  follow:


Series list

Series   1:   Constitutions, Canons, and Convention Journals,1907-1992

Series   2:   Diocesan Council and other bodies (Chiefly minutes and meeting files, 1869-1984)    

Series   3:   Election and Consecration of Bishops, 1957-1982

Series   4:   Records of Bishop Foote, 1957-1969 (See also the Personal Papers of Bishop Norman Foote MSS 55)

Series   5:   Records of Bishop King, 1972-1981

Series   6:   Clergy and Personal files, 1918-1983   (Not open for research)

Series   7:   Parish surveys, 1953-1959  (Chiefly from the 1959 diocesan survey of parishes)

Series   8:   Parish files, 1903-1981 (Miscellaneous documents arranged by parish)

Series   9:   Idaho Pilot Diocese Project, 1965-1969

Series 10:   Idaho Ad Project, 1984-l985

Series 11:   Paradise Point, 1955-1982

Series 12:   Prayer Book Revision, 1968-1978

Series 13:   Financial Records, 1935-1981

Series 14:   Sold Property records, 1903-1979

Series 15:   Women of the Episcopal Church, 1902-1970

Series 16:   Confirmation records, 1900-1982

Series 17:   Diocesan registers, 1899-1972

Series 18:   Parish registers and records, 1867-1996

Series 19:   Historical reference files  (Articles, clippings, etc.)

Series 20:   Miscellaneous files    




Return to Manuscripts List

Special Collections • 1910 University Drive • Boise, ID 83725-1430 • Phone: 208-426-1204 • Email: Archives