The mission of Albertsons Library is to actively participate in learning, teaching, and research at Boise State University.
In support of this mission the Library:
- Serves as an intellectual and cultural center.
- Provides access to, and assistance with, information resources.
- Collaborates with the individual, the University, and the community to support life-long learning.
Academic Excellence; Exceptional Research Goal 1.
Serve the campus population by providing an effective library collection.Strategies:
- Optimize electronic access to journals, e-books, and research databases for faculty, staff, and students.
- Increase awareness and promote the use of electronic resources.
- Provide collections that serve the diverse populations and needs of the University community.
- Constantly review and revise library processes and acquisitions resource allocations to ensure support of campus academic programs and research.
- Assess user satisfaction with the library collection.
- Review and modify collection development and related policies in order to effectively develop the library collection.
- Continue the transition to electronic access as the preferred format for most library resources.
Academic Excellence; Vibrant Culture Goal 2.Promote an environment that enhances learning.
- Provide both physical and virtual interactive learning spaces for students.
- Encourage student use of the physical library by making it a more welcoming, comfortable place to study, work with others, and conduct research.
- Use assessment measures to improve and adapt the learning environment.
Academic Excellence Goal 3.Actively participate in teaching.
- Provide instruction in the location, access, retrieval, and use of information resources and research strategies.
- Support teaching by providing access to library and information resources supporting the curriculum in all disciplines.
- Partner with faculty to develop information literacy skills in students.
- Continuously review and assess effectiveness of library instruction.
- Support opportunities for collaborative teaching and learning partnerships with campus programs and student groups/organizations.
Exceptional Research Goal 4.Provide support for the research needs of our faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide access to the journals, books, databases, and other information resources needed for research.
- Develop and provide researchers with specialized access tools and services that support their use of library and information resources.
- Identify areas where library collections need to be strengthened to support research needs.
- Provide support for new masters and doctoral programs.
- Institute ways for library users to communicate needs and request library resources and services in support of research.
Academic Excellence Goal 5.Provide access to and assistance with information resources.
- Develop user-oriented services to assist people.
- Provide excellent customer service for library users.
- Develop strong librarian liaison relationships with all academic departments.
- Enhance the Library's Web site to make it a more usable and information-rich resource.
- Increase awareness and use of specialized collections and unique information in the Library.
- Increase accessibility of library materials and services for distance and virtual students.
- Enhance the library catalog and other information discovery tools to improve their usability.
Vibrant Culture; Public Engagement Goal 6.Encourage lifelong learning.
- Collaborate with the campus community to sponsor programs that enhance lifelong learning.
- Assess library success in preparing students and graduates for lifelong learning.
- Provide community access to library collections and services as appropriate to support lifelong learning.
Academic Excellence; Exceptional Research; Vibrant Culture; Public Engagement Goal 7.Maintain an organization that is responsive to change.
- Encourage professional development of and training for library faculty and staff.
- Recruit and hire high quality library faculty and staff.
- Institute policies and procedures that allow individual staff members to respond quickly and appropriately to user needs.
- Use new technologies as appropriate to enhance library collections and services.
Academic Excellence; Exceptional Research; Vibrant Culture; Public Engagement Goal 8.Manage fiscal and human resources to allow the Library to grow and develop.
- Reallocate resources as necessary to achieve strategic goals.
- Review services, service points, and staffing in order to use library resources effectively.
- Increase collaboration and cooperation with other libraries.
- Identify ways to reach and develop relationships with potential donors.
Public Engagement; Vibrant Culture Goal 9.Foster engagement and collaboration with the campus and local community.
- Seek out and build relationships with library stakeholders and community members.
- Make campus and community access to collections and other community resources more widely known.
- Demonstrate the value of the Library to the local community.
- Collaborate with area libraries and the Idaho Commission for Libraries to promote, share, and develop common resources.